Sunday 9 March 2008

Easy crackle background technique


My friend Tracy told me about this technique last week. It was *discovered* by Lyn Stonehewer. Lyn is multi talented and is fearless when it comes to experimenting with techniques. This uses clear glue. In the UK, we used to use this glue at school. The rubber bottle top is angled, has a slit in it and is used to apply the glue. I didn't have any, but I did have a clear glue pen by UHU. I spread the glue onto an ATC size piece of white card. It needs to be quite a thick layer. Then Acrylic paint is applied over the wet glue. I refused to experiment with my Paint Dabbers cos I didn't want to get glue all over the dabber tops. So I grabbed some cheap and cheerful Acrylic paint, and rubbed it on top of the wet glue with my fingers! The paint dries faster than the glue, which gives the crackle effect. I need to play with this technique some more, but it has a lot of potential. Thanks Lyn (and Tracy)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice idea and it looks as if it really works! Ta for sharing :)

Cath

Anonymous said...

Cool background. Love what you've been doing with the distress inks too ;)

Anonymous said...

Lyn learned this technique from an American site. It is fun and fast and great results.